Wednesday 18 January 2012

The one with the strangers

Yesterday us 4 were at Lucky Plaza, minding our own business waiting for the lift. And then suddenly this hand came from behind me and gave Lilybuff a pinch on her cheeks. I don't know what came over me but my hand went *piak* and i gave her the you're-dead-to-me glare before exclaiming "please don't touch my child". Turns out that she's this pleasant 50ish lady who seems quite well-groomed and nice, but of course she scurried away probably feeling quite embarrassed. At that instant i feel a teeensy weeensy guilty for over-reacting.

Look, I know i don't have a universally cute baby girl. She's not eurasian or mixed-blood, just this ordinary looking chinese baby whom I think is cute because she's mine. My point is, you don't just touch a baby's cheeks without asking for permission. What if you have SARS? Or you've just unconsciously dug your nose or picked your teeth, God forbid that you may have gone to the toilet for number 2 and didn't wash your hands, with soap.

I'm all for my kids being interactive to strangers in my presence. Mountain Boy for example is somehow very popular amongst the Indians. Once we went to Jurong Bird Park and a bunch of Indian tourists wanted to take pictures with him (instead of the birds, hello?). And on our plane ride yesterday another indian man played with him, to whom Mountain Boy said "nice shu-shu" (nice uncle). Today he almost jumped into the Harbour Front River and another Indian man helped me hold him back because i was busy with Lilybuff.

So anyway, I don't think there is any harm in being friendly to kids IF the kids reciprocate. But please, don't assault babies in strollers. If you wanna pet someone's dog, ask the owner. If you want to pinch my baby's cheeks, ask me.

3 comments:

h o b o m o b o said...

Haha. That was rude lah, to surprise the mother like that. You are only acting on instinct. Some mothers don't even like their babies' cheeks pinched, friend or not.

imp said...

well done! humans are too rude and think every cute kid can be touched regardless of the parents' inclination.

lovexiaolongbao said...

hbmb> glad you agree! Those cheeks are mine!

imp> give the baby some space right.