Tuesday 5 June 2007

Taikang Road

We live along Sinan Road/Taikang Road. You might be wondering why there are 2 road names. China roads are typically very long, so usually the address contains the nearest intersecting road so that the cab driver roughly knows where he's heading. Its like saying Upper Paya Lebar instead of Paya Lebar.

Anyway, just a brief introduction on Taikang Road. It is known as the art street as it is supposedly populated with a lot of art shops and art galleries. Actually, i think its more than just an Art Street, it really is one of the most beautiful places in Shanghai in my opinion. Its also a great place to live next to because along Taikang road, one can find a very clean wet market, fruit stalls, convenience stores, local, thai and italian restaurants, a bar, cafes, and 2 very solid DVD flagship stores. The only thing we don't have is a massage parlour.

Anyway, before we even moved to Taikang Rd, we explored this area a lot. Here are some pictures we took sometime ago, even before we moved. It was still winter then...
That's me... standing in one of the alley's in taikang road....Looks like Whitechapel in London.

And that's me again, pretending to be a seamstress. My grandma used to have one of these old manual sewing machines. I always used to play pretend. Hee...


This is us, nearing one of the exits of taikang road. Check out all the clothes hanging... Tht's China... One can be having a nice meal at a pish-posh restaurant, and the next door neighbour will hang their undergaments out dry for the whole world to see.

Really love the new area tht we live in. Looks better in real life than in pictures. So u'll have to come experience it for yourself!

3 comments:

Jen said...

hey....finally u r up and running in cyberspace...i will be sure to visit china...someday somehow...when r u coming for fujirock?

lovexiaolongbao said...

hello... I'm going to Tokyo on in June 21-14, and again end of July..

LET's definitely meet up okay, you can let me know where to shop. I also need to buy this hair product, need u to help me find.

Jen said...

I m an embarrassment. Pls DO NOT depend on me to bring you ard or help you find the hair product...hehe....cos i cant speak japanese....i m still as foreign abt this place as u probably r....do u know i didnt even know abt fujirock until i heard it from u!!!! hehe....send me more info abt the hair product. I will go research and by the time u come, i might have found it!!! Y are u coming twice within a short period? Work and play or just play and play?