Tuesday 19 August 2008

the word "relax" or "chill" (UPDATED, Part 2)

There's a part 2 to this. I also hate it when people say something sarcastic over email, and then put a " :-) " to soften the impact of their words, or to appear friendlier. To me it has the opposite effect.

anyway, i said something back and also put a smiley face. NAAAH. :-)

What i posted this morning...
I remember a scene from Cashmere Mafia- a bunch of guys were giving each other marriage advice... one of them said, "whatever u do, don't ever use the word "relax"".

I totally get it.

To me, the words "relax" or "chill" actually sound more offensive than any other profanities. It's like stabbing a person and then blaming him for bleeding. I would retort "try dealing with someone like urself" but i usually don't cos i'm polite, unlike them. I am generally non-confrontational, i just bitch behind their backs.

The virgo in me wants to win every argument, but i have learnt to let go. I do that a lot now. I let people get away with their ignorance, leaving them thinking they are cool and know-all, so they'll act silly again in front of other people. Sometimes i wonder if the people closest to them would tell them the truth.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't confront. I just make snide remarks. HAHAHAH! And den i bitch behind their backs...

When you tell someone to "relax or chill". You are simply implying that they are over-reacting. Bad bad bad idea.

I would show them wat is OVER-REACT if anyone dares to hint to me i am over-reacting. HAHAHA...

lovexiaolongbao said...

hello SAF! I'm glad u understand. It's super rude right! I never ever tell pple to chill right in their face. haha.

Hope u're recovering from gastric flu. I'm also recovering from some stomach problem, didn't fully understand the doc's diagnosis. Basically a lot of wind and occasional sharp pain.

Anonymous said...

Hello back! Gastric in gastric flu has gone away. Sigh...

I've not done the "hiyoh..chill can?" but a direct "you are over-reacting" to a close friend. Learnt my lesson the hard way... LoL.

The best way to tell a person who is over-reacting that they are over-reacting is to be as calm and as chill and as relax as you can.

Anonymous said...

In ref to part 2: works the same way when people smile while saying something sarcastic la... like... "*smile* I'd thought a person of ur stature/position would be aware of something even my kid will know. *smile*"

Anonymous said...

Ha! Sorry... anonymos was me. Fat fingers accidentally typed enter before i could say "SAF!" =p

lovexiaolongbao said...

SAF> Woah, those words are vile. Someone said that to you?

Mine was just. "What? RMB XX? tht's ridiculous. :-)"
I didn't think chinese understood sarcasm yet, but apparently they learning quite fast.