Sunday 18 July 2010

TV Serial Killer

Being from a communications school and all, I know the typical tricks of the trade on story writing. The hooks that keeps viewers coming back for more, for example the unresolved sexual tension (UST), the cliff hanger, the twists etc...

Of course the actors, the premise, and the setting are different. But if you really strip it down to the core, think about how different the old Beverly Hills 90210 is from the new Beverly Hills 90210. Or to make it more extreme, how different is Gossip Girl from say.... Grey's Anatomy. Every actress sleeps with every other actor (and vice versa) and when they finally run out of people to sleep with, DING it signals time to introduce new characters!

Having said all that, I am completely addicted to watching TV series. Like crazy addicted. I don't have any discretion i watch absolutely everything. I just finished Grey's Anatomy season 6 even though i SWORE that i'd stop after season 5.

Anyway, here's a list of my current must-watch TV Series.

Most Fashionable
Winner: Project Runway- Real live drama doesn't lose out to fiction!
Runner-up: Gossip Girl- The storyline is pretty childish, but the actors and actresses are so beautiful.

Best Hospital Series (I feel like i now can diagnose any illnesses)
Winner: House- I'm a Hugh Laurie groupe. And i love the soundtrack.
Runner-up: Grey's Anatomy- I like it more since they kicked off Katherine Heigl and TR Knight. And they brought in Kim Raver!

Best Cop Show
Winner: Dexter- Interesting premise, gets better with every season. The last season's ending was solid as hell.

I don't watch any other cop shows...

Best Chick Series (ie usually the men won't watch)
Winner: Desperate Housewives- A good mix of suspense, drama and tight script writing. Every episode sums up with a nice theme.

Best half-hours
Winner: The Office- Mountain Man and I go into laughing fits when watching this.
Runner-up: How I Met Your Mother- Honestly i hate all the actors except for Neil Patrick Harris who unfortunately is gay. But even then he makes up for the lack of all the other actors.

Most "Fang"tabulous
Winner: True Blood- Makes you wanna do bad things. I've always been a fan of vampires since Louis and Lestat (Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles). Eric Northman is my new Lestat.


2 comments:

judebabe said...

The ending for last season's Dexter was sad. :(

Gingerblossom said...

i haven't watched dexter in a while but yes... THE BEST! And House is juz hilarious