Friday 9 March 2012

Blow Your Own Shrimp

Mountain Man and I enjoy watching TV series together. It's sort of like mini-dates, no need to dress up or worry about getting home on time. I realize we have a similar sense of humor, which is probably why I find him funny, not obnoxious.

I digress from the main topic. Anyway, some background knowledge is needed before i launch into the point i'm trying to make, which will happen soon if i don't get distracted.

So, we were watching Modern Family Season 3, strongly recommend this series its laugh out loud funny. There's this episode where Cameron (one of the gay dads) over coddle his adopted daughter Lily and she turned into the mega brat.

Now back to reality.

I was having lunch with Mountain Boy today. He decided that his tempura was too hot (which i swear wasn't it was warm at best) and he flung a good section of the prawn across the table and it landed on the floor, after which he launched into a crying fit that frankly made me look like i was pinching him under the table. Patrons of the restaurant actually turned to stare. I then offered him noodles and he pushed it away screaming "No No!" and crying. I rationalized his behavior by telling myself that he woke up too early so he was tired, and that he was a little ill.

He finally calmed down and decided to approach the tempura again. This time i had chopped it up into 1cm pieces so i won't risk it being "hot". He complained it was still hot and insisted that i blow it for him, and i obliged. That was when the epiphany came like a brick fell on my head, the scene of Cameron coddling Lily flashed across my mind. I AM A CODDLER!!

A wise mother of 4 told me recently that once your children can survive in the world without you, your job is done. I hold that advice dear to my heart and I want my children to be independent. 


So i tell him. "BLOW YOUR OWN SHRIMP!" (don't get dirty minded now).




1 comment:

autumnberries said...

love this! thanks for sharing!