Tuesday 26 May 2009

The healthy snacking

24weeks +5 days into the pregnancy, i've gained 9kgs.

(Pictures were taken 1 week ago)

To put that into perspective, based on my height and pre-baby svelteness, i'm only supposed to gain 15kgs in total. For a normal pregnancy, the weight gain is usually backloaded- ie one should expect to gain 60-70% of the weight in the last trimester.

To put even more bluntly, I'VE GAINED TOO MUCH WEIGHT!!!! I still look okay from the pictures but i tell you, these hips don't lie.

Earlier today i went for my prenatal check up. The nurse gasped when she saw that i put on 6kgs in 8 weeks. That's almost unheard of amongst chinese women. Chinese women are very very health conscious during their pregnancy.


case in point:
I was sitting in the waiting lounge about to devour my all-in-one chocolate/custard/almond croissant after a whole night of starvation. This woman next to me then whipped out (or should i say brandished) her bag of "snacks". It consisted of a tomato, a cucumber and a kiwi fruit. Mind you it's not chopped up nicely in a lunchbox drizzled with fattening creamy dressing. It's really just a tomato, a cucumber and a kiwi fruit, like she plucked them straight from the garden.

I felt so guilty about my croissant (damn her!) that i actually left 1/4 of it unfinished. I looked down at my belly and apologised to T for not giving him a healthier breakfast. boohoohoo...

Well at least T is growing just fine, he is 733g today.

6 comments:

yuling said...

But but you look so good! And erm give me a croissant anytime. Oh I know! Add tomatoes in your croissant! Hiak hiak!

Ada.Ada.Aja said...

ella, i think it's quite common to suddenly gain lots of weight after the first trimester. bell told me that happens, so do continue to eat what you think is good =)))

lovexiaolongbao said...

yuling> i hate tomatoes!!!

AAA> By good u mean delicious right? hhehe. yeah la the baby's wellbeing comes first, the putting on weight is secondary.

Little Miss Snooze said...

Agree with yuling, you look good and chic!

Whatever you put on is for the sake of Tamagotchi...so...eat up. :)

Corsage@A Dollop Of Me said...

But I'm sure you look better than her! =P And you got your carbs and calcium (chocolate & custard!) Enjoy your holiday :)

LiEr said...

Aaahhhh! Just came here today and discovered you're preggers! You look great, Stella! Gongxi, gongxi! Am so happy for you. Aiyah, we all gain too much weight in the name of eating for two. But I rationalized it all away and then felt great rather than guilty! It IS possible to lose it all (and then some) after baby comes. Argh, children crawling over me asking for something now, so must go. Love ya - L