Saturday 24 November 2007

How to Eat Hairy Crabs....

I had this unstoppable craving for Hairy Crabs today. it's all i could think about after i had my lunch.. I love crabs, i love the process of eating crabs even more. I hate the pincers cos they are no challenge to eat. And I like to get into the legs and dig out the meat in one full sweep.

Lester was sweet enough to do the research and brought me to this place called Xiao Nan Guo so i could have my fill (if not i'll keep nagging about it). The restaurant is located quite near home, within the oldest hotel in Shanghai called the Ruijin Hotel. I need to gush about that place another day. Let me get back to crabs.


Now... unlike back home where crabs are served chopped up and ready to eat, Hairy Crabs are served whole. So u gotta know how to pull it apart to get the good stuff.


Top View of Crab

Front View of Crab - u gotta ignore the eyes. It bores into me and makes me guilty... NOT. Check out the hairy pincers, the black thing. Thts why its called Hairy Crab.



I wanted to take a picture with my pet Gary, Gary the Hairy...(inside joke with Ming Yen)




Step 1: Remove the Apron...Its basically that piece of flap on the underneath of the crab. It gets seriously gross at this point but just get over it by focusing on the roe...


Step 2: Remove the top shell... Roe Roe Roe...


Step 3: Remove the gills and start EATing the ROe! Basically after this step, u can eat it however u like. Leg first, body first, top shell first. Oh and remember to dip in vinegar!


As you can see. I am very willing to be unglamourous for the sake of hairy crabs.







Satisfaction guaranteed...


Last step, Wipe ur hands and mouth!


No comments: