Saturday 10 May 2008

2nd Postcard from Maldives

Multi-tasking has become part of the metropolitan life many of us chose to lead. We play many roles back home. Lester is a husband, a son, a brother, an employee and a boss all at the same time. I am a daugther, an aunt, an employee, a friend, a wife, and for a while a bridezilla.

I now understand the importance of honeymoon, and why it traditionally occurs right after a wedding, that is when a man and a woman assume new roles of husband and wife respectively . During the honeymoon, u're nothing else but each other's life-long partner. And maldives is perfect cos there are no distractions, far from the rest of the world world, only connected by very weak internet signal (allowing me to blog at an alarmingly slow speed).
Entertainment on the island is so far pretty good. There's loads of free time to do stuff we don't normally do. Like Read....Les loves his business books, i like my novels.

We also do 1 dive a day. Today's dive was by far the best of 3 days. We saw 2 eagle rays, lots of tuna, jacks and giant groupers.


And after hours, we play CHESS! Okay for the record, Lester is not good, i just really really suck at it. haha. He won me 5 out of 5 times.

This is me contemplating the next move. At the end of this game, i was left with my king and 2 soldiers. Poor King was cornered by a castle, the knight, and a bishop.


Last night, we had a special performance by the local boatmen. They got together and did a diki barat style sing-song.


At some point, the boatmen invited ladies in the audience to get up and dance. I was such a spoilsport for refusing to join in (partly due to stress of losing chess). Diki barat music doesn't exactly evoke my dancing mood, but some people evidently enjoyed themselves!

This holiday is also perfect for honing photography skills. I'm very amateur so its good when i have all the time in the world to practice.

Ok gotta go Les is waiting to kill me in chess battlefield again. Till tomorrow!

No comments: