Wednesday 9 July 2008

Coping with failure

I had my worst night in the kitchen. My 2nd attempt at kung pao chicken was a failure, and actually i had succeeded at KPC the first time, it was delicious and was such a breeze to cook.

I wasn't thinking. I put the nuts in before the meat, something i NEVER do. i ALWAYS put the meat in first. And then the chicken was overmarinated so it was super salty. And then somehow the new kitchen is not equipped for crisis management, so i kinda spilled stuff on the floor, clogged the sink, plates were overturned....

By the time i was halfway done with the KPC, i was depressed and wanted to cry. I wanted to give up on the meal and just order in.

At that point Les came back home. I was whining and whining about not wanting to cook even tho my hands just kept on working and cutting vegetables. I guess i wanted to hear him say my KPC was delicious. But all he said was, it's EDIBLE!!! Booohoohooo....

Well I really shouldn't demand more in such circumstances. He has always been appreciative of my cooking, he finishes up everything (on good kitchen days and BAD kitchen days). He even endures my after-cooking high, I'll keep asking him if it's nice (to which there is only one correct answer), and he'll have to counter my own self-criticism with his praises. In yesterday's case, he knew i was so depressed that he let me hog the Wii while he play his PSP. so sweet.

The night actually got better when we finally won the last guitar battle against Loucifer. We've been playing for the past 3 nights and we NEVER got past this "whammy" attack. Basically as u play the notes, players accumulate different attacks and the attacks can be undone with time or a particular counter-attach action. So i suspect that our Anti-Whammy attack button has malfunctioned, so i devised a strategy to overcome the whammy attack by attacking the opponent before he can accumulate the whammy. It's OK if u're confused. To cut the long story short, i kept urging(bugging) Les to keep playing and eventually we overcame Loucifer! Woohoo...

It's really important for couples to constantly give each other words of encouragement. The promise of love and acceptance when the tough gets going. =)

9 comments:

Ada.Ada.Aja said...

i don remember you having any bad kitchen days at kembangan leh... but then again my tastebuds can't be trusted har har har.

Go Les Go! Stella the Cooking Star will get there someday =D

lovexiaolongbao said...

haha, u're too kind.*sheepish*

Actually i have blazing good kitchen days too. I've perfected the beef stew, and also moved on to chicken stew.

Yesterday was just a disaster, i'd like to think its an anomalie!!

Anonymous said...

cici ella. lets play guitar hero together. you can play the guitar i'll play the bass

Albert

yAnn said...

i lurve guitar hero. but i can't play with him cos he is like super power medium mode who is attempting expert mode and i am still in baby mode. =P

but schweet lah.....he eats up everything you cook and lets you hog the wii. *big big smile*

lovexiaolongbao said...

Albert! Hello! Woah u have the bass? Is it a new thing? Yeah let's play together, we play with Arnold in Shanghai! So u come to beijing la!

Yann> U play too? How to counter the whammy attack? Just keep pressing the whammy button right? Duno why mine doesn't work. Jimmy is medium mode! WAH LAU!!So good. i can't coordinate anything more than my 3 fingers and my struming hand. Sometimes i hit my own face during star power!

Anonymous said...

to get bass basically you just get a second guitar controller, and oh to counter whammy you must press the whammy bar REPEATEDLY not just once. muahahaha

i'm expert already

Albert

Anonymous said...

hello albert> thanks for confirming that my Whammy button is really spoilt!

Lxlb

yAnn said...

every time i do star power, i end up missing like a note or two, which means my star power is not so power anymore!!

how come ur whammy button so fast spoil?? oh no!

lovexiaolongbao said...

Yann> yeah spoil from beginning! so sad. =(
I also miss a few notes when i starpower. I also Boh power.