Wednesday 10 September 2008

Ask and you will receive... sometimes.

I did my first peer review today. A colleague had asked for a review, and she/he could pick people whom she's worked with to assess her. It's based on 5 criteria- Job knowledge, Reliability/Problem Solving, Efficiency/Effectiveness, and Leadership. I didn't give full marks but it was a very good score overall.



In 1.5 years of working for the company, i never knew that i could ask for a peer review. I jokingly told my boss that i wanted one from this person whom i think is not very fond of me. Of course the operative word being "jokingly". He replied "Sure, u can ask for one." in a very serious tone.



Anyway, i think i'm already my harshest critic, i don't think i can handle getting a bad one from someone else... It's a very typical characteristic of a virgo, I and ONLY I can criticise myself. Obviously such peer reviews are a bit political right. I would pick the people whom i think i work best with and like me the most. Why would i pick some person who'd give me a lousy score.



This brings me back to a recent conversation i had with a friend. We were talking about the life of a salaryman. Sometimes we feel afraid to ask for what we deserve cos we fear to appear greedy or discontent. But he reminded me that "if you don't ask, you don't get". Alot of us don't have a clue about the P&L of the company, they make craploads of moolah and it all ends up in the deep pockets of the people who are C/D/M level, occassionally also to the people who actually ASK. Asking for a raise is really the fundamental survival skill of a salaryman. Why didn't i learn this lesson sooner. need to start pulling up me socks.

2 comments:

karma chameleon said...

Same here same here. I've realised the need to ask and I've seen how it actually works when ppl do ask. But I'm still too chicken to ask....

lovexiaolongbao said...

Karma c> how ah... sigh...we must exchange pointers.