Sunday 14 June 2009

Almost a botched job

My mom had this really great recipe for the 9 layer cake (Jiu Cheng Gao). I made it a few times a couple of years ago... Tried and tested and approved by friends and colleagues then. When i moved to China, i left my recipe book behind, well there were only a handful of recipes in it anyway.

A couple of weeks ago, i had this craving for jiu cheng gao. Just imagining the layers peel off made me salivate. So i went online to look for recipes, the easiest i could find - least number of ingredients and least number of steps. I finally assembled the ingredients this morning and made my first dessert in my new home.

Tada... It looks "pale" compared to Bengawan Solo's, i didn't want to add too much colouring. But it's pretty right? The taste is so-so, not oily enough, too sticky. I need to adjust the portions next time. My mom's recipe was def better.




Actually, the picture above was the best looking cut. Initially I almost botched the whole batch cos i couldn't wait for it to cool (hehe, i eager beaver). The cake stuck to the knife like superglue!





This was what it looked like when i first dug into it piping hot. I almost cried when the cake came out like this. Mountain man had to console me all morning.


12 comments:

Ada.Ada.Aja said...

oi, you can start a "bengawan ella" in china soon la :))

lovexiaolongbao said...

AAA> no la. my kang hoo not there yet.

lilsnooze said...

Wah....not bad what!

lovexiaolongbao said...

lilsnooze> err, it's not that bad la. but not say fantastic. Quite jelak. tsk tsk.

Unknown said...

fwah babe! I kowtow you!

lovexiaolongbao said...

addy> it's actually easier than it looks. very fun also.

Ada.Ada.Aja said...

wish i could have half the fun cooking / baking like you do!

lovexiaolongbao said...

AAA> it's only fun if someone appreciates ur cooking.

serline said...

One of my children favourite dessert. We will definitely bought one pack for them to eat after dinner on every weekend.

lovexiaolongbao said...

serline> it's actually quite simple to make! u can just check recipes online.

Gingerblossom said...

it was good! I shared a slice with a fellow singaporean at work and we were in 9 layer bliss...

lovexiaolongbao said...

gingerblossom> next time i adjust recipe... i think it'll be nicer!