Friday 12 June 2009

Depeche Mode

Did i mention that Depeche Mode is my All-Time-Favourite band? It's not the ahlian in me talking, i simply love them. We go way back...

When i was 13, they came to Singapore on the Devotional Tour. I didn't go. I didn't know them yet. My girlfriend CALSY (initials only) went and fell totally in love with DM (especially their then drummer Alan Wilder). So she got us all influenced (crazed) for DM. We'd spend afternoons at her house repeating the Faith And Devotion laser disc (or was it video tape), over and over. We'd even record our horrible singing voices, u know very typical teenage stuff.

After the Devotional Tour (1994) the band experienced their darkest moments, Alan Wilder left, Dave Gahan almost ODed... And they started making shite experimental music and came up with 2 horriblest DM albums imo (Ultra and Exciter). Dave went on to a solo career which never was...


11 years later, the band now down to 3 members (Dave, Martin and Andy) made a comeback i never imagined. Playing the Angel was launched in 2005, and they were back to their old sounds, part troubled by religious issues, love issues, divorces... Just the way i like em.


Before i continue, i've always had this fear in my heart that one day, when depeche mode and i were actually in the same country and they were going to perform, i may be in labour and i'd miss their concert. So if Mohammed won't go to the mountain (at the right time), i decided that i shd bring the mountain to Mohammed. I wasn't gonna let this chance of a lifetime pass me by, besides i may not have another 11 years. So i flew to London to visit my friend, we took a bus to Manchester and caught the Playing the Angel concert live. My life was complete.

This the evidence of my being there. I was sooooooooooo far away. If i were to come across a depeche mode concert again, i'd go in a heartbeat. And i'd freaking pay for front row.



This year, they launched a new album Sounds of the Universe. It's a double CD. The new stuff is all great. Old school just the way i like it. But the real treat is disc 2. It contains demo tapes of all the past non-mainstream favourites. Namely Clean, Sweetest Perfection, Walking in My Shoes- mostly from the Violator which arguably is my favourite album.

So if u intend to get into Depeche Mode, here's a quick discography;

Speak & Spell (1981)
A Broken Frame (1982)
Construction Time Again (1983)
Some Great Reward (1984)
Black Celebration (1986)
Music for the Masses (1987)
Violator (1990)
Songs of Faith and Devotion (1993)
Ultra (1997)
Exciter (2001)
Playing the Angel (2005)
Sounds of the Universe (2009)


Not surprisingly, Mountain Man is a pre-Music for the Masses fan, I am a post.

One other CD i'd recommend is a tribute album to DM. Interesting covers by Smashing Pumpkins, Dishwalla, Veruca Salt... But my fav cover is The Locust's version of Master and Servant.

3 comments:

heats68 said...

Why the sudden ode to Mode dear?

lovexiaolongbao said...

Heather> cos i finally heard the new album! haha.

dc28 said...

i was one of the concert crew for their '94 gig at Indoor Stadium. It was a fantastic concert....Dave was so high!